Home Sweet Home


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Wow. I just walked in the door of my apartment after a wonderful harrowing week of learning, frustration and hope. After a five hour flight and the inevitable hour and a half taxi ride home, I can't help but think about all the people I spoke to this week who want nothing more than to go home. One of my last call outs today was a woman who's FEMA claim was denied for insufficient damage. She was told by the FEMA representative that she should go back to her apartment in NO. She told me that she would like nothing more than to go home but that she doesn't feel like she has a home to go to. She's terrified to go back to LA, six months later she still has recurring nightmares about watching the flood waters rise never sure if she will make it off the roof or not. Perhaps her most striking observation was this, "I want to go home, I really do but how can I go home? Its almost hurriciane season again and nothing has changed. If a storm hits this season, there is nothing in my experience that convinces me I won't be stranded on my rooftop clinging to life again. I will go home when something has changed. You can tell FEMA that, I'll go home when something changes." Such a simple observation but so very true.


Forty-three Brooklyn Law School students will spend their spring break volunteering in and around the Gulf Coast as part of the Student Hurricane Network. These are their stories.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3